• Looking for a challenge in a developing service?
• Would like to work with a well-trained and coherent team?
Where: New Plymouth, North Island, New Zealand
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time, Minimum One Year’s Commitment Required
A permanent vacancy exists for a motivated and experienced Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist to join our team of 13 psychiatrists. You will work with a dedicated team of medical, nursing and allied health staff primarily caring for people in a community setting with complex needs requiring specialist mental health services.
This Child and Adolescent Mental Health service (CAMHS) is an experienced and motivated team, attending to clients from toddler ages up to 18 years of age. The team relies on a variety of professions and skills, utilizing CBT, dynamic therapies, family interventions, Mindfulness and DBT groups, as well as a range of local primary services working in unison for the best interest of our community.
Whilst practising within your psychiatry set of skills, you will be exposed and taught about New-Zealand’s unique cultures, which you will incorporate into your practice.
The Mental Health and Addictions service (MHAS) hosts medical students from the University of Auckland. You will enjoy the benefits of teaching and supervising years 5 and6, while having access to the University’s up to date resources.
The MHAS provides a wide range of specialist services within the Taranaki region that include:
• A 23 bed inpatient unit (4 beds – IPC), an Assessment and a Brief Intervention service working in the community. High and complex needs and community supported rehabilitation service beds are accessed via Tui ora a Kaupapa Maori service.
• Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services.
• Mental Health Services for Older people.
• Alcohol and Drug Services.
As part of the MHAS service you will be expected to:
• Provide consultant services to people requiring specialist care.
• Interact daily with other departments.
• Mentor junior medical staff attached to the service.
• Have the ability to work in a range of settings i.e. inpatient, outpatient and community settings inclusive of crisis work.
• Cover for colleagues in their absence.
• Participate in an on call 1:10 roster.
You will be known by your peers as someone who:
• Works well in multidisciplinary teams to provide person centred care.
• Strives to improve the way services are developed and delivered.
• Has excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with a wide variety of people from various backgrounds.
• Engages with other providers, consumers, and health organisations to improve the quality and responsiveness of services.
• Focuses on achieving results and developing and maintaining good working relationships in the workplace.
In Taranaki, it is easy to achieve an enviable lifestyle without having to compromise your career path. The region’s amazing mountain, rivers, lakes, fantastic coastline and outstanding surfing and tramping opportunities, masses of parks and gardens, as well as a major events calendar, make it a great place to live and work.
The mental health services is part of a large organisation (2,200 staff) operating in the exciting, changing Health sector to a population of 116,600 people .
• 6 weeks annual leave per annum;
• 11 paid public holidays per annum;
• 10 paid CME days per annum for a total of 51 paid days off from work;
• $16,000 for CME per year;
• $15,000 approximate relocation if you commit to at least two years. Note: Relocation packages do vary from one employer to the next. Your offer could be less, more or different from the $15,000 noted here;
• Reimbursement of indemnity insurance, registration fees and college membership;
• May be eligible for up to 6% matching employer contribution to government actuary approved superannuation scheme; and
• Up to 30 paid sick days a year.
Why New Zealand?
1. People are lovely;
2. You don’t have to see a new patient every 15 or 30 minutes;
3. Sane politics;
4. Work here is much less stressful than in the US, UK and many other countries;
5. Great place to live and work if you are towards the end of your career and looking for an adventure for 2-3 years;
6. Excellent place to raise children with a good public, school system; and
7. Our highly coveted, sought after, world class Kiwi Lifestyle.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your CV in *WORD* format to get the ball rolling!